List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-11-26 22:01:49

Michael Thaler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 01:11:44PM +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>

>>The best would be to create our own Postscript generator. But, as written
>>before, this means that we would have to support all font problems and that
>>is not easy (i.e. needs much manpower to do it correctly plus developers
>>knowing the subject, especially East Asian fonts.)
>

> Does scribus use its own postscript generator? Maybe the code from
> scribus can be used?

And, IIUC, we are free to borrow anything which we want from the SUN PostScript driver
that comes with OpenOffice.  We do agree don't we that the PostScript driver in OO is
better than the Qt one?

We are at an advantage there because the KDE project can do this but Troll Tech might have
a problem.  They could put it in the free version but might have to purchase a license to
put in the commercial version.  I'm not a GPL expert so I don't know -- they should ask
their lawyers and the FSF.

--
JRT