List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon being DPI based (was karbon)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-10-26 6:57:55

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:38:21AM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Thomas Zander wrote:

>>> I can't place that 'apparently', I just told you that the problem
>>> you have is solved in the RIP; what do you base your opposite
>>> conclusion on?
>>>

>> So, I conclude that you do not know what a Moir? pattern is.
>
> Yes I do; I told you its solved in the RIP. You probably missed that
> when you concluded that RIPS 'apparently' are not better then they were
>  10 years ago.

The question is not the RIP, it is the printers.  Laser printers are still
black and white.  NO shades of gray.

I'm still not sure you do; I just hope you don't since I spent quite
> some time trying to explain things to you;

No, you have wasted considerable time with presumptuous and arrogant
remarks.  You have offered no actual information to support your
presumptuous claims.

> the least thing I expect from you is that you read up on issues before
> you comment on them.

I fully understand that anti-aliasing can help with Moré and other
resolution based artifacts.  But, what you don't appear to understand is that:

1.	AA will not entirely eliminate them.

2.	Laser printers have only 1 bit per pixel -- they don't do AA.

>> I know of no RIP that solves that problem.
>
> _all_ professional RIP software solves this problem. (if not older then,
>  say 3 years). Look at Barco, Xeicon, HP Harlequin software. HP sells
> mid-range printers (max $3000) for companies that include the RIP
> software either for each workstation; or for a network-based RIP. You
> can probably find that kind of solutions for less.

Since the problem is with the printer -- typical desktop 600 DPI laser
printer, there is no way that the RIP can solve the problem.

>> But since GhostScript does not solve that problem, this is the
>> important point for > 90% of the users.
>

> You are aware that moire is only a problem for one color printing,
> right? And that rasterizing methods like dot diffusions, ordered dither,
>  rotating dots etc simply avoid this problem altogether?  Only
> FloydSteinberg method of adaptive grayscale will have problems like you
>  mention.  And that is not commonly used.

NONE of these will work with one bit per pixel -- or at least they will
fail at some point when the details are small enough.  It that case, the
smaller the detail, the worse the problem gets.

>>> To repeat; the only component in the steam of usage that actually
>>> can know what the output size is is the RIP, that part has to do the
>>>  conversion you fear is going wrong.
>>>

>> My printer is sitting within view of me and I know that I am going to
>>  print on it.  Therefore, do I know the output size and the
>> resolution?
>>

> Do you? The avarage user you mentioned surely does not!

So what.  This user knows and that is all that matters to him.

But, I think that most users do know the resolution of their printers.  And
I hope that users that use SVG to make small icons know what the final
resolution of the smallest size will be.

> And if your printer breaks and you have to print in on your neighbors
> printer you will have to start drawing from scratch since your DPI
> settings are in your drawing. Scale your image and you loose again. Buy
> an image from an imagebank and you will (by your reasoning) be left with
> lousy images. Why in the real world ate those not a problem?: because
> the rasterizer solves it.

Please try to understand that the raserizer is not a cure-all for all issues.

>>> I am not.
>
> ..
>
>> I thought that anyone that professed to know as much as you would know
>>  that they are adding some vector support to The GIMP.
>
> I can't work with the Gimp;  its a horrible application from a usability
>  perspective, it brings me nothing extra that a profession editor needs;
>  like having professional features like 16 bit color channels, CMYK etc.
>  In other words; nice for hobby; but not for anything outside of that.

Please get out your dictionary and look up arrogant.

>>> I have no experience with that one
>>
>> Then what are you talking about?
>
> Postscript, even very cheap laser printers print postscript.

?????

>>> ; although I do believe it is quite capable of the resterizing I
>>> said it would need.
>>>

>> Do you mean interpolation rather than rasterizing?
>

> Nope.  Rasterizing is not always interpolation since lpi and
> dot-rotation as well as dot-gain settings are part of that process; with
>  only interpolation the result will look horrible.

Printing a 100 DPI image at 600 DPI requires interpolation -- preferably
something better than just linear interpolation.  That is not rasterizing.
  Rasterizing is converting a vector image to a raster image.  Changing the
resolution of a pixel image is NOT rasterizing.

>>> I am more and more under the impression that you have little
>>> experience in the world of Postscript and Rips;
>>
>> That would be irrelevant because what I am talking about is printing
>> to an office or desktop printer.  That is what most users do.
>
> You are wrong that it is irrelevant since it is the sole output method
> of any KDE application.  Any solution will _have_ to work in postscript.

Yes PostScript is the output method for most Linux applications.  So, most
users are going to either be using a printer with a built in PostScript
interpreter or GhostScript.  Neither of these alternatives is a
professional RIP or a professional high-resolution printer.

> James, if you have no direct questions regarding this subject I will
> consider this thread closed.

Perhaps it is just a translation problem.  But my perception is that you
are somewhat confused about what you discussed.  Your apparent skill at
sophistic rhetoric gets in the way of a realistic discussion.  Perhaps you
really believe all the questionable things you said.  In that case, I hope
that the actual developers have a firmer grasp of the facts so that they do
not make mistakes like Troll Tech made with the PostScript driver.

--
JRT