List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: compile problem koffice HEAD with KDE_3_1_BRANCH
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-21 16:39:07

Well, unfortunately it looks like KOffice 1.3 will be released with bugs, as
delaying the release even more will not bring anything either.

The wish is to try to make a last effort to remove some of the bigger bugs,
especially in KSpread whose main developers have not had any time for months.

So for the debuggers: GDB needs more or less only to be installed and KDE will
use it for a backtrace if something crashes.

As for Valgrind, I do not know, as I have never used it. (I have a slow
computer, so anything as complex as Valgrind cannot be used easily.)

If you have time (or computer power) and much harddisk space and may be also
much RAM, you can compile with --enable-debug=on (at configure time.) That
gives extra information in the backtrace.

In the case of this bug in the file dialog, you would need to have Qt compiled
with -debug, kdelibs and koffice with --enable-debug to have more data.

As finding bugs in Qt is not a pleasant task, you might also look at some
other bugs, like those of KSpread. (As the address would be too long for an
email, I cannot give it here directly. So go to the weekly summary:
http://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi , find the line of KSpread and
click on the number of its bug (currently:72.))

Have a nice day!