List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems while compiling filters/kword/msword/
From:       jonathan () tweakers ! net
Date:       2003-09-13 11:56:56

Citeren Werner Trobin <trobin@kde.org>:

> On Friday 12 September 2003 18:11, Jonathan Brugge wrote:
> > During compilation of filters/kword/msword/ I get the following compilation
>
> > error:
>
> [...snipped the error message...]
>
> > (CVS as of today, both wv2 and KOffice)
> >
> > The steps I took before compiling:
> > - I installed wv2 - from CVS, 0.1.9 from tarball and 0.1.8 from Debian/
> > Unstable (installations from tarball and CVS went into /usr/local)
> > - I reran make -f Makefile.cvs and ./configure in the toplevel
> > KOffice-directory
> >
> > When I encountered the compilation error, I tried other versions of wv2.
> When
> > that didn't work, I took a closer look at the config.log and found the
> > following lines:
> >
> > configure:29890: checking for wv2-config
> > configure:29944: result: /usr/local/bin/wv2-config
> > configure:30037: WARNING: You need at least version 0.2 of libwv2
> >
> > Now I don't know how I can find 0.2 if even CVS doesn't even carry that
> > version number. Next thing I tried was adding extra options to ./configure,
>
> > so I was sure it looked in /usr/local for libwv2. When that didn't work, I
>
> > manually added an include for /usr/local/include to the compilation command
>

> Sorry for the inconvenience, we're hacking wv2 and the KOffice part of the
> filter right now, and the API changes daily. The change to require 0.2 was
> just a hack to explicitly disable wv2, that wv2 doesn't break the build
> process.
>
> > shouldn't be needed and it indeed did not solve the problem. Various new
> > checkouts of the relevant KOffice-directory and wv2 didn't help, so now I'm
>
> > more or less stuck. I have some simple MSWord-documents that I have to read
>
> > and I would like to use KWord for it - I don't really have enough space on
>
> my
> > main partition for OpenOffice and running 'strings mydocument.doc | less'
> > _does_ work, but it's not really user friendly to read documents like
> > that :P.
>
> strings does not work in most of the cases, so that's not really an option.
> You could get and install wv2-0.1.9 and check out the koffice/filters/kword/
> msword directory with an older date (e.g. a week ago).
>
> The required steps are:
> 1) cd koffice/filters/kword/msword
> 2) cvs up -D"a week ago"
> 3) make -f Makefile.cvs in koffice, configure, build
>
> Should work.

I more or less solved it at last by getting a somewhat older wv2 from CVS - it
did compile after I edited wv2-config to report 0.2 as its version number,
even with the newest koffice/filters/kword/msword. Reading the MSWord-
documents also works fine, except that I have problems with fonts - nothing
that can't be solved, though.

> > Does any of you have any idea how to get this directory to compile? Running
>
> > 'strace make' shows that it does indeed find the wv2-directory, but
> grepping
> > it for "GraphicsHandler" doesn't return anything. I guess graphicshandler.h
>
> > tries to use some new function/class that is not yet in CVS - if that's
> true,
> > where can I find an updated version of wv2?
>
> The "real" Sourceforge CVS has the required file(s) and if I would commit a
> patch sitting on my HDD it would even compile for you. The problem is that
> the anonymous Sourceforge CVS lags about 48 hours. Sourceforge promised to
> solve that with the new hardware they would get in August. Well, doesn't look
>
> like that has happened yet.
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Sorry for the problems I caused. In the mean time I changed the message
> configure prints when it fails to detect the proper wv2 version, to avoid
> such adventures...
>
> Ciao,
> Werner

With quick answers like this, it ain't no problem...I'm happy enough it works
now, and I can't expect to have a working CVS-version all the time. I'll
probably return to my own pc by Tuesday - I'll try again with the newest
sources. The computer I'm using now is running Windows, so I can print the
documents and read them later on.

Thanks for you work on the filters,

Jonathan