List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems while compiling filters/kword/msword/
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-13 7:53:15

On Friday 12 September 2003 18:11, Jonathan Brugge wrote:
> During compilation of filters/kword/msword/ I get the following compilation
> error:

[...snipped the error message...]

> (CVS as of today, both wv2 and KOffice)
>
> The steps I took before compiling:
> - I installed wv2 - from CVS, 0.1.9 from tarball and 0.1.8 from Debian/
> Unstable (installations from tarball and CVS went into /usr/local)
> - I reran make -f Makefile.cvs and ./configure in the toplevel
> KOffice-directory
>
> When I encountered the compilation error, I tried other versions of wv2.
When
> that didn't work, I took a closer look at the config.log and found the
> following lines:
>
> configure:29890: checking for wv2-config
> configure:29944: result: /usr/local/bin/wv2-config
> configure:30037: WARNING: You need at least version 0.2 of libwv2
>
> Now I don't know how I can find 0.2 if even CVS doesn't even carry that
> version number. Next thing I tried was adding extra options to ./configure,
> so I was sure it looked in /usr/local for libwv2. When that didn't work, I
> manually added an include for /usr/local/include to the compilation command

Sorry for the inconvenience, we're hacking wv2 and the KOffice part of the
filter right now, and the API changes daily. The change to require 0.2 was
just a hack to explicitly disable wv2, that wv2 doesn't break the build
process.

> shouldn't be needed and it indeed did not solve the problem. Various new
> checkouts of the relevant KOffice-directory and wv2 didn't help, so now I'm
> more or less stuck. I have some simple MSWord-documents that I have to read
> and I would like to use KWord for it - I don't really have enough space on
my
> main partition for OpenOffice and running 'strings mydocument.doc | less'
> _does_ work, but it's not really user friendly to read documents like
> that :P.

strings does not work in most of the cases, so that's not really an option.
You could get and install wv2-0.1.9 and check out the koffice/filters/kword/
msword directory with an older date (e.g. a week ago).

The required steps are:
1) cd koffice/filters/kword/msword
2) cvs up -D"a week ago"
3) make -f Makefile.cvs in koffice, configure, build

Should work.

> Does any of you have any idea how to get this directory to compile? Running
> 'strace make' shows that it does indeed find the wv2-directory, but grepping
> it for "GraphicsHandler" doesn't return anything. I guess graphicshandler.h
> tries to use some new function/class that is not yet in CVS - if that's
true,
> where can I find an updated version of wv2?

The "real" Sourceforge CVS has the required file(s) and if I would commit a
patch sitting on my HDD it would even compile for you. The problem is that
the anonymous Sourceforge CVS lags about 48 hours. Sourceforge promised to
solve that with the new hardware they would get in August. Well, doesn't look
like that has happened yet.

> Thanks in advance for any help,

Sorry for the problems I caused. In the mean time I changed the message
configure prints when it fails to detect the proper wv2 version, to avoid
such adventures...

Ciao,
Werner