List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Eron Lloyd <elloyd () lancaster ! lib ! pa ! us>
Date:       2003-07-22 14:44:53

On Monday July 21 2003 2:17 pm, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Juli 2003 11:45 schrieb Guillaume Laurent:
>
> Hi,
>
> > On Monday 21 July 2003 11:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > <spam>
> > > I said it before and I say it again, KOffice needs integration with a
> > > document-server that allows this kind of remote collaboration.
> > > </spam>
> >
> > Here you're aiming at Lotus Notes. Though sharing many features, Wiki is
> > something much simpler (not that adding collaborative edition to KOffice
> > would be a bad thing...).
>
> What do you think about extending kolab with a webdav enabled document
> sharing / workflow component. IMHO webdav can be really helpful here
> especially if versioning is working correctly.

I think this is an excellent approach. What will be needed, however, is
collaborative features in KOffice, such as versioning, recording of changes,
documunt comparison, and better annotations. Something similar to Sharepoint
Team Services...and speaking of Kolab, is the goal to produce something
"native" to KDE that can take advantage of the KDE API (kio, DCOP, etc.), and
in that thought, is Qt (now or in the near future) going to become
network-centric enough to develop full-blown servers with (mail, Web,
document storage, etc.)? Judging from the power of KDE's client-side protocol
support, I'd imagine one could build some advanced server-side stuff, too.

Cheers,

Eron

--
Eron Lloyd