List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Filters
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-06-19 17:58:00

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 13:04:42 at 01:04:42PM +0200, Ferdinand Gassauer (gassauer@kde.org) wrote:
> Hi!
> Today I want to burn my fingers :-|
>
> The filter status at http://www.koffice.org/filters/status.phtml and my
> experience importing various documents (word,excel,pdf) with more or less
> success tells me  that koffice will hardly be accepted by any organisation as
> long as at least the import section has 5 stars for this documents.
>
> In addition to that it becomes more and more part of business life to share
> the writing of a document with other people outside of the own organisation.
> This is not possible as long KOffice does not provide full featured export
> filters
> or
> everyone agrees on a common standard (pdf)

PDF is not to "share the writing of a document". It is meant to give
read access, so it's not related to the issue that you rightly raise.

> or
> KDE provides imoprt filters for MS-Office.
>
> Connectivity is the key for usablility and acceptance of KOffice and KDE
> otherwise at least business  will have to use crossover and MS-Office.

Please all users: make as much pressure as possible:

       with KOffice developers, to accelerate convergence to the OASIS
		    file format

       with users of other Free SW, to produce and exchange only
       documents in the OASIS file format

       with users of proprietary SW, to ask *their* vendors for an
       OASIS filter, so they'll stop polluting with proprietary
       formats.

As long as OOo and KOffice users will (have to) exchange MS formats
among them, they'll keep losing the only battle that matters.

      Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Human beings act intelligently only after they have exhausted the
alternatives -- Abba Eban