List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Filters
From:       Sidoine Mosiah PIERREL <sip () teamlog ! fr>
Date:       2003-06-19 11:18:15

Le Jeudi 19 Juin 2003 13:04, Ferdinand Gassauer a écrit :
> Hi!
> Today I want to burn my fingers :-|
>
> The filter status at http://www.koffice.org/filters/status.phtml and my
> experience importing various documents (word,excel,pdf) with more or less
> success tells me  that koffice will hardly be accepted by any organisation
> as long as at least the import section has 5 stars for this documents.
>
> In addition to that it becomes more and more part of business life to share
> the writing of a document with other people outside of the own
> organisation. This is not possible as long KOffice does not provide full
> featured export filters
> or
> everyone agrees on a common standard (pdf)
> or
> KDE provides imoprt filters for MS-Office.
>
> Connectivity is the key for usablility and acceptance of KOffice and KDE
> otherwise at least business  will have to use crossover and MS-Office.
>
> just my 2c

This is an issue which is regularly discussed on this list and koffice-devel
mailing list. The only way  to answer to these need is to find people to code
the filters or to help to free ressources from other part of the koffice
project to code on this specifical part.

However, with the KPDFIMPORT project, KOFFICE is the only office suite able to
read and modify PDF (including office suites in the Microsoft world). But, I
agree with you that it is not enough to make KOFFICE popular.

For the moment, OpenOffice is much more closer to MS OFFICE about filters than
any other open source project. But they have ressources that KDE doesn't
have. Shortly said, KDE has the good technology, OPENOFFICE has the money! If
you can help to change this last statement, it would be wonderful. Money is a
generical word to sum up what I said before. KDE needs people to work on this
issue and it can be solved. I don't say that it is easy, but it is possible.
There are several ways to do it which were explored by David Faure  and
people around him. But they are full of work and they need serious people to
help them about this particular issue (and many other, KOFFICE is a big
project where there is always something to do).

Note: I don't code... sorry.

My 2cts.

Regards,

Sidoine