List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kspread - big usability issues
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2003-06-03 21:50:21

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 23:32, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2003 21:48, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Notice that there are several issues in behavior where it differs
> > > from excel or openoffice.  Some not very logical behavior is happening
> > > there :) Anyway; you might want to look at how openoffice does things
> > > (its the same as excel).
> > > I was really wondering in the last bug if the c1 value was '=A1+$B$1' why
> > > both excel and openoffice alter the '$B$1' when I move C1 or B1...
> >
> > I do not  understand your wondering?
>
> It is my believe that using dollar signs before a variable makes it 'stick' so
> copying does not alter it.

$ means that when you copy the *formula*, the reference doesn't change.

However if you move the cell that is _pointed to_ by the formula, then the
formula is modified to follow the move. "$" is totally unrelated to that.

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer