List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Adding fonts to Kword
From:       Vadim Plessky <vplessky () faringosept ! ru>
Date:       2003-05-04 13:32:57

On Sunday 04 May 2003 03:09, Chris Osicki wrote:
|  On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 07:48:09PM +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > On Friday 02 May 2003 14:10, Chris Howells wrote:
|  > |  On Friday 02 May 2003 11:03, Chris Osicki wrote:
|  > |  > Please, could anybody help me to figure out how to add fonts to
|  > |  > Kword?
|  > |
|  > |  You can install TTF and Type1 fonts using the font installer module
|  > | in KControl.
|  >
|  > Font installer is somewhat overhead in case you have recent XFree86
|  > (4.3.0) with FontConfig.
|  > Open /usr/lib/X11/fonts
|  > folder on your system, and check wetehr thre is a TTF or Type1 folder in
|  > it. If answer is 'yes' - copy PS Type1 fonts to Type1 folder, and
|  > TruTypef otns - to TTF folder.
|  > Than run (as root) #fc-cache
|  > Close Kword and iopen it again, new fonts should appear installed.
|
|  Yup. It worked. Thanks.

Nice to hear!

|  Now, it's not really Kword specific question, but I have use the
|  opportunity ;-)
|  If I have a font with the same name as an existing one (Helvetica in
|  my case, what else. Being half Suisse it shouldn't surprise I'm
|  Helvetica obsessed ;-) how to make sure Kword picks up the right one,
|  I mean the Type1 one?

Again, download and install PfaEdit (http://pfaedit.sf.net)
Load nicer version of Helvetica font into PfaEdit, and change name to
"Helvetica Nice"  ;-))
Save resulting .sfd file, and export PS Type1/PFB font.
Than install it (as before), and load up KWord.
Switch in Stylist from Helvetica to Helvetica Nice.  You would get your Swiss
version :-))

|  I just installed Helvetica.{afm,pfa} into
|  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1, run fc-cache.
|  Kword shows now Helvetica in the drop-down font-menu slightly "italic"
|  and it appears in the text "italic"??!! and there is no Helvetica
|  listed in Format->Style Manager->Font at all.
|
|  BTW Is there any utility to display all Type1/TTF fonts, like the
|  xfontsel?

To list all fonts, use from command line:
#fc-list
or even better, to check what kind of Helvetica you have installed:
#fc-list | grep Helvetica

To display font visually (without installing it) - associate ftview from
'ft2demos' package with TTF, PFB/PFA and OTF extensions (in KControl center)
Than just click on th efont, you wil get pop-up Window with font rendered.

|  Regards,
|  Chris

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net