List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Minimal Koffice
From:       Vadim Plessky <vplessky () faringosept ! ru>
Date:       2003-05-04 13:09:37

(vplessky@faringosept.ru) wrote:
|  > > I believe it's possible to build kdelibs without arts (therefor,
|  > > dropping extra dependency)
|  >
|  > 0) How do we know for sure if it is actually possible?
|  > 1) If possible, is it as simple as one config/make switch?
|
|  I'm afraid Vadim is wrong, this isn't supported at the moment.

I am sure it was possible at KDE 2.1/KDE 2.2 time, as I have built KDE 2.x
couple of times withoiut sound support (but that was *mistake*, not
intentional)

To Marco:  you can try to unpack kdelibs (take sources either from tarball of
extract from SRPM), and run
#./configure --help
configure script would list possible options.
Look for option like:  --disable-arts  or so.
Another way to check wether current kdelibs would build without sound support:
* uninstall all sound libs
* uninstall arts, if it's still installed
* try to build kdelibs with default options, with hope that kdelibs build
script would recognize absence of audio libs.

There are interesting dependencies in libarts, BTW:

[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -q --requires libarts
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
ld-linux.so.2
libartsc.so.0
libartsflow_idl.so.1
libartsflow.so.1
libasound.so.1
libaudiofile.so.0
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libexpat.so.0
libfontconfig.so.1
libfreetype.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1
libglib-2.0.so.0
libGL.so.1
libgmodule-2.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libgthread-2.0.so.0
libICE.so.6
libjpeg.so.62
libkmedia2_idl.so.1
liblcms.so.1
libmcop.so.1
libmng.so.1
libm.so.6
libpng12.so.0
libpthread.so.0
libqt-mt.so.3
libSM.so.6
libsoundserver_idl.so.1
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
libstdc++.so.3
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXft.so.2
libXmu.so.6
libXrender.so.1
libXt.so.6
libz.so.1
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)

I can understand those ones:
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libasound.so.1
libalsa1-0.5.10b-1mdk
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0
libaudiofile0-0.2.3-2mdk

but why arts depends on libpng and libjpeg?.. :-))

BTW:  to reduce memory usage in memory-constrained environment, you may want
to wipe all TrueType fonts (and BDF/PCF fonts, too) from your disk and switch
to PS Type1 fonts.
You can get couple of Megabytes out of you RAM freed by this.
Also remember: even with FontConfig installed, system performance (starting up
new application) depends on number of fonts installed, and especially on
presence of Asian (CJK) fonts.
If you don't need those fonts - better wipe them out, too.  It can save you a
few seconds of startup time.

|  It shouldn't be very hard to do, but the arts developers never really
| wanted to support system without sound (and ensuring that kdelibs compiles
| and works in both cases etc.).
|  But if you need it, you can surely hack kdelibs to not require arts.
|
|  > 2) What does the end user lose? Nice but useless sounds when making a
|  > spelling mistake or saving a file, what?
|
|  Yes. All sound support from KDE.

I beleive those sounds are not really needed for office use.
At least most computers used in typical office environment (desktop PCs) do
not have loudspeakers anyway.  So, even in case sound suppoirt is compiled -
it's useless.
As about environment Marco is targeting (RULE project) - I believe sound is
not critical for RULE users.

|  - --
|  David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
|  Qt/KDE/KOffice developer
|  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB, Platform-independent software solutions

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net