List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Playing with KSpread
From:       Norbert Andres <nandres () web ! de>
Date:       2003-03-31 18:59:06

Hi,

see my comments below...

On Monday 31 March 2003 19:38, Daniel Engelschalt wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm was just playing with kspread (cvs head) and i saw the following
> problems:
Good idea:-)

> i created a table (year, minimum, maximum, average) and wrote 1990 and
> 1991 below year. then i wanted kspread to automagically fill some cells
> below
> and so i selected both cells and dragged it down. works perfectly but i
> don't
> see the current state - is it not even possible to show that in the
> statusbar?
That would mean we have to calculate "On the fly" during dragging. Right now
we don't do that... I will think about this... (Is Excel able to do that?)
Since we have to calculate anyway it should be possible.

> then i formated the other cells to "percent" with precision "2" and started
> type in number like "10,5". works as long as i'm actually using the comma
> key
> and not the one of numpad, in that case it is recognized as text input.
> funny
> - if i click somewhere else and type numbers with keypad's comma it first
> shows up as e.g. "10.5" and then it gets "10,5". so i think it's just a
> forgotten feature ;)
I think it was ment to be a real feature. This has been in there since the
very beginning I think. Do find this annoying? It is more convenient isn't
it?

> getting the average is not an easy part: i typed (without quotes)
> "=AVERAGE(", then selected ONE cell, typed ":" and then the next cell right
> of the first -> parse error (i know, selecting both works ;) kspread should
> recognize that the formula is still open.
You are right. Could be implemented easily...
Does anybody know a reason why this hasn't been done?
(For testing just add "|| r == ':'" in kspread_editors.cc:180)

(Normally I tend to think that there is a reason for (nearly) everything:-)

> after that i decided to draw a basic chart - with year and average, but
> selecting colums which are not next to each other doesn't work. ok, no
> problem, some copy and paste but after having a nice chart, i'm not able to
> select and delete it. i can select it and if i hit the del-key nothing
> happens.
> and a menu entry for deleting it is missing.
I know, this is a problem. But I have no idea where and how to fix it...
Anybody else here? This also applies to any other embedded object.

> while trying this i encountered many times the situation that kspread
> wanted to copy or move cells when i just wanted to click somewhere (try
> this: set the cursor somewhere, then go with the mouse to the cells
> below or b/right of the selected cell - cursor gets a hand. then
> right click.)
Shit, you are right - will be fixed sometime soon. Why is the world so
complicated:-)

> it's the first time i tried koffice since end 1998 / 1999 - so please be
> patient
Do you have a support contract :-) (Just joking)

Regards
Norbert