List:       koffice
Subject:    wv2 0.0.8 released
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-09 12:18:22

Hi!

I just released version 0.0.8 (codename "Otto") of the wv2 library. You can
get a tarball containing anonymous CVS information at
http://www.sf.net/projects/wvware
Alternatively you can "cvs update" your local snapshot using anonymous CVS and
the release tag WV2_0_0_8 (cvs update -r WV2_0_0_8).

Compared to 0.0.7 it doesn't come with any new features (except a regression
test suite) but some bug fixes. The most important changes are:
- Fixed a bug in the list handling code (for Word 8+ in compatibility mode)
- Fixed a crash in handling of stale field marks (Word doesn't seem to clean
up the field marks sometimes)
- More robust table parsing (the correct sub document is restored), now fields
inside tables work too, even if the table rows are parsed after finishing the
main body text.
- Compiles with Visual C++ 7 now, thanks to Duncan Wilcox

Requirements:
- Working C++ compiler with a recent STL implementation. Tested with gcc
2.95.2, 2.95.3, 3.2.2, pre3.2.3, Intel C++ 7.0, and Visual C++ 7. Please tell
me about problems on other platforms
- Recent iconv installation, should be a part of every modern Linux. FreeBSD
users might have to install libiconv (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv)
- libgsf-1.7.2 (ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libgsf/1.7). This
library depends on glib 2 (www.gtk.org) and libxml2 (www.xmlsoft.org), if
libgsf-1 is configured with the --without-gnome option (wv2 doesn't need the
libgsf-gnome library).

As libgsf uses pkg-config (http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/)
during the build process, wv2 needs pkg-config to detect libgsf-1.

If you have problems with building wv2, please contact me.

If no major bug in 0.0.8 is found this will be the last release for a longer
period, as I plan to add support for Word 6 and Word 95 files for wv2-0.1.0.
The aim is to support at least the same feature set as the old Word filter
for KOffice 1.3beta1.

Ciao,
Werner

P.S. Right now KWord has strange bugs in the table rendering code, so KWord
will enter infinite loops or crash on some documents. This is not related to
the import filter, though.