List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Help!  KSpread ate my worksheet
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-09 9:54:46

Norbert Andres wrote:

> Hi Catherine,
>
> would you mind sending me the document (and the backup file) to my private
> mail address?
> I promise not to disclose any data that is in the document and I'm going
> to delete the file as soon this problem is solved.
>
> Something else you can try:
> Make a backup of the backup file. Rename the backup file so that it has
> ".ksp" as file extension. Try to open that.

>Something else you can try:
>Make a backup of the backup file. Rename the backup file so that it has
>".ksp"
>as file extension. Try to open that.

>Regards
>Norbert

Same happened to me with kword recently
The method you described usualy helps to solve the problem, but it is not
very userfriendly, because the backupfiles are not associated with any
applikation

sugestion:
in konqueror click (LMB) on a backup file should pop up a menue with at
least the following options
a) open file with <associated application> (better not)
b) view file with <associated application> (read only to avoid further
damage)
c) open file with <select application> (as it does now) - useless for panic
users
d) restore file i.e. copy backup over original file - (eventualy only after
viewing it)

these are exactly the situations where users tend to panic and destroy
valuable backups by doing more and more things wrong if not guided and
supported by the application

--
cu
ferdinand