List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Page sizes not consistent with ghostscript
From:       Mr E_T <troll () logi ! net ! au>
Date:       2003-03-04 14:16:57

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> > I agree that the application (any application) should be able to set the page
> > size (including custom sizes). but it should allow for user override (maybe an
> > option to do this ???????).
>
> I don't consider this as "the user overriding the application", but as
> "the user overriding himself". He's the guy who defines the initial page
> size at application level. If he meant another page size, then fine,
> just change it, but at application level. Letting KDEPrint desynchronize
> the page size with respect to the application is probably a bad idea
> and will lead to unwanted effects people will complain about.
> However, this only makes sense with support for custom page size at
> application/kdeprint level, which is still not the case.
> But this is only my opinion, for me it reduces to a 1-line code change.

While this may be true it does not take into account paper size name
differences or the fact that the printer may have a different physical size to
that of the document - say bigger. Or that the document was written by someone
else.

I agree that while technically it may be a bad idea in practice it is sometimes
needed. And the end user will probably want it at some point.
 --
regs MR E_T