List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Experiences with KWord 1.2.1 (KDE3.1)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-02-24 13:05:51

On Monday 24 February 2003 01:20, shaheed wrote:
> On Friday 21 Feb 2003 10:30 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Good, I am going to try to explain why I would want what I have described
> > (and what I have not described yet.)
> >
> > I would like that KWord and KPresenter would get more common components,
> > instead of having mostly two very different codes for similar tasks.

> > I am sure that some peope will disagree with me. ;-)
>
> Hmmm. Interesting. I guess that the logical extreme of this is that you end
> up with one super-app, which is intellectually appealing both from the
> maintenance point of view, and the feature completeness. But I don't know -
> I somehow find the idea of a single all-encompassing application a bit
> scary!

Yes, I had this idea but I still do not see a good UI for it.

So I think that a first step could be putting some code together and see then
what the next step may be.

(It is the same has the creation of KoPicture. Some features that are now in
KoPicture were not planned at first. At first KoPicture was mainly to avoid a
ugly hack in KWord's AbiWord import filter.)

> Perhaps you would distinguish the apps simply on the basis of the (default)
> parts of the UI visiable? For example, I certainly think it would be hard
> to do without a formula bar in KSpread. Hmm. Don't you then end up with a
> modal UI? I hate modal UIs but I don't see how else you could avoid the
> clutter.

I do not know if we can do a KWordPresenter application with one single UI (a
good one if possible.)

That is why I would try first to keep KWord and KPresenter separate. For the
users, it would remain two applications, even if the developers might know
better.

> Hmmm. I'm going off this idea.
>
> Perhaps a more limited and structured form of sharing could be done. For
> example, use Karbon as the basis for all drawing, and give both KWord and
> KPresenter the abilty to use Karbon layers as I previously suggested? I
> guess I fundamentally think that graphics are different from bulk text. But
> that may just be me...

A sort of KoText but for graphics? Karbon would use it but also KWord,
KPresenter... could use it too. This could be an interesting idea.

Have a nice day/evening/night!