List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Pamphlet printing
From:       James Hatridge <James.Hatridge () epost ! de>
Date:       2003-01-05 15:15:28

HI Claus et al....

I've been playing with pstops the past two days. Now I've got a few questions.
#1 what program do you use to make the text.ps file? I've got Open Office,
Abiword, and Koffice. None can do anything with ps files.

Anyway I took a ASCII text file and use a2ps to get a ps file. I then took
your command and it worked fine. Thanks. One problem I see with it, is I have
to make the fonts much bigger on the  original page to get the right size on
the printed page. Any idea what size font I need to get a 12 point font on
the printed page? It looks to me as if pstops cuts the size in half. So I bet
24 point is what is needed.

Thanks

JIM

On Friday 03 January 2003 00:17, Claus O. Wilke wrote:
> pstops simply rearranges the whole pages. So you prepare your manuscript as
> if you wanted to print single pages on A4 (or letter, or whatever) paper,
> including headers, footers, everything, and then you use pstops to
> rearrange the pages in such a way that you get a pamphlet.
>
> In any case, from David Faure's last email on this subject, I take that the
> kprinter architecture has already built in support for this kind of thing,
> so you don't even have to call pstops manually.
>
> Best wishes,
>   Claus
>
> On Wednesday 01 January 2003 09:59, James Hatridge wrote:
> > HI Claus et al...
> >
> > Just back from a bout of the flu (oh was I sick). Thanks for this I'll
> > look in to it. One quick question, what happens to headers? On my
> > pamphlet I have the page # and bulletin name on each page.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > JIM
> >
> > On Sunday 29 December 2002 22:54, Claus O. Wilke wrote:
> > > The pamphlet filter that several people requested on this list can be
> > > obtained with a single call to pstops. If your original text is in
> > > text.ps, enter:
> > > cat text.ps | pstops
> > > '4:-3L@.7(21cm,0)+0L@.7(21cm,14.85cm),1L@.7(21cm,0)+-2L@.7(21cm,14.85cm
> > >)'

> > > and find your pamphlet in pamphlet.ps.
> > >
> > > The numbers in this example work for A4 paper. For US letter paper it
> > > is somewhat more difficult to do the rescaling trick, because US letter
> > > paper doesn't obey a nice height to width scaling relationship (when
> > > you cut A4 paper in half, the height to width ratio remains unchanged,
> > > whereas when you do the same with letter paper, the height to width
> > > ratio changes).
> > >
> > > I use for letter paper 8in instead of 21cm and 5in instead of 14.85cm,
> > > but these values may not work optimally for pamphlet printing.
> > >
> > > Claus

Jim Hatridge
Linux User #88484