List:       koffice
Subject:    frame ordering in Kword
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-12-29 18:34:39

Hello David,

> I know that
> the Koffice programers work hard, but it seems to me that something
like this
> should be a basic item.

> Not so basic. How should the user tell the program, in which order he
> wants the
> text to flow? The GUI for this is the hard bit (the feature is itself
> very easy).
> Make a decent proposal for a GUI, and it might be implemented. This is
> how
> you can contribute to KWord, without even writing a single line of
> code....

I have a program called Printmaster, that puts a symbol at the bottom of every \
unlinked textframe that looks like the link of a chain. When you click it the mouse \
pointer changes into a miniature textframe with an arrow pointing down, when you \
click a frame that hasn't been linked yet, this frame is included into the chain of \
linked frames. You have a total freedom regarding the order in which you link the \
frames. There can be several chaines as well, as long as they stay separate. A frame \
that has been linked, will display an arrow at the top that you can click to go to \
the predecessor, and -if meaningful- one at the bottom to get you to the successor. \
There is no way to edit the links though, you can only take a frame out by deleting \
it. But it works and it is a simple intuitive interface.

Hope this helps

Marc Heyvaert