List:       koffice
Subject:    Use of fonts in Kword (and probably other KDE applications too)
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-12-10 16:55:07

Hello!

I am running Linux on a second PC. Distribution is Mandrake 9.0

I am starting now to do some of my PC work (mostly text and spreadsheet stuff) on my \
Linux machine using Koffice.

I must say that up to now I am agreeably surprised about the quality of Koffice and \
the usability. As an old Amipro user I am happy to work again with a frames-based \
wordprocessor. This makes life a lot easier!

Kspread is fun to use too, some things are a bit more tedious than with Excel but a \
lot of the stuff is actually easier to use.

I don't like all the things, like the embedding of applications in other documents is \
a bit strange. But perhaps I am doing it all wrong. If I create an object into \
another, e.g. kivio into a kword document the whole application (kivio) loads into \
the frame that I made on the documents page. If this is small, than the application \
(kivio is especially prolific in toolbars and other stuff) fills the allowed space to \
the brim, making it almost impossible to work with. Is it not possible to blow-up the \
application to a full screen state and after exiting it seeing the result only in the \
frame?

Anyway, this wasn't my most important question. My main problem concerns fonts. In \
kword I can choose between a sufficiently great number in my distribution. Some of \
these fonts have the origin between brackets in the drop-down box. E.g. Helvetica \
(Adobe). When I use these fonts, they look alright on the screen (incidentally which \
is not the cas in Openoffice that has a major problem in this area based on my \
personal experience), but when I print the result (or preview it) the characters seem \
to be very close to each other, to the point that some characters actually overlap \
(m, b, d, etc). As I see it there seems to be a problem with the character spacing \
with some fonts. In MS Word you can adjust this, but this doens't seem to be possible \
in kword. If this problem happens with some fonts, and not with others, how can I \
make the distinction? And why isn't there a filter to show only the fonts that give \
no problems.

Thanks for helping me on this one.

Regards

Marc