List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kontour/Kpresenter 1.1->1.2 migration (a desperate cry for help...)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-11-20 17:21:38

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 15:58, Tal Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently upgraded my laptop to RH 8.0 (psyche), which ships with KDE
> 3.0.3 and Koffice 1.2, only to discover that none of my presentations can be
> used because of Kontour related problems. (we are talking about several 100's
> of pages of complicated science formula, diagrams, figures etc., which I use
> on a regular basis).
Wow.

> Kontour1.2 seems severely broken - I cannot get it to
> create/save new diagrams or to read/convert the old format.
Yes, it is indeed severely broken - and is getting replaced with karbon for
the next release.

> As things stand now, Kpresenter is unusable.
Do you mean it won't even open the documents, because of the kontour problem,
or that it opens them, but the diagrams are lost?
(I'm afraid there is no solution for the 2nd problem :(

> I have tried, and failed in the following attempts:
> 1) install koffice-1.1.1-5 binary RPM, shipped with RH7.3, on RH 8.0 (requires
> many older version libraries)
> 2) rebuild koffice-1.1.1-5 from SRPM (aborts with a cryptic error code)

Is that koffice-1.1.1 for kde2, or koffice-1.1.1-kde3? The latter is a "port" to kde3,
which should be much simpler to compile in a kde3 environment...

If it's about koffice-1.1.1-kde3: what's the error?

> 3) Fool Kontour1.2 into reading an old  *.kon file by writing a dummy *.kon
> with Kontour1.2, and then substituting back in the maindoc.xml from
> Kontour1.1, and zipping it.
Hmm.
Another workaround I would suggest, is to uninstall kontour only - that way
you'll get "unavailable" boxes, but all the text will be available. Depends whether
that's good enough or not.

> Short of uninstalling linux and then reinstalling RH7.3 (since I'm not sure
> that KDE2 is compatible with the RH8.0 packages) -  I've ran out of ideas.
> This will be a real mess, since I stand to lose many packages I have
> accumulated over time.
>
> Can any of the developers / users advise?

The best bet would really be koffice-1.1.1-kde3, if you want a working kontour.
Try compiling koffice-1.1.1-kde3.tar.bz2 from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/Attic/koffice-1.1.1-kde3/src/

> One thing that can perhaps be done as an emergency measure to help
> stranded Koffice end-users like me is to create a KDE3.0 compatible rpm of
> Koffice 1.1. The list shows that the developers actually discussed doing
> something like this at a certain point.

Indeed, there's no RPM of koffice-1.1.1-kde3 at all.

- --
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/