List:       koffice
Subject:    Kontour/Kpresenter 1.1->1.2 migration (a desperate cry for help...)
From:       Tal Alexander <tal.alexander () weizmann ! ac ! il>
Date:       2002-11-20 14:58:50

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my laptop to RH 8.0 (psyche), which ships with KDE
3.0.3 and Koffice 1.2, only to discover that none of my presentations can be
used because of Kontour related problems. (we are talking about several 100's
of pages of complicated science formula, diagrams, figures etc., which I use
on a regular basis). Kontour1.2 seems severely broken - I cannot get it to
create/save new diagrams or to read/convert the old format.

As things stand now, Kpresenter is unusable.

Having read recent postings on the koffice and koffice-develop lists, I now
realize that the problem was known for some time, although it was not
mentioned in the Koffice 1.2 release announcement.

I have tried, and failed in the following attempts:
1) install koffice-1.1.1-5 binary RPM, shipped with RH7.3, on RH 8.0 (requires
many older version libraries)
2) rebuild koffice-1.1.1-5 from SRPM (aborts with a cryptic error code)
3) Fool Kontour1.2 into reading an old  *.kon file by writing a dummy *.kon
with Kontour1.2, and then substituting back in the maindoc.xml from
Kontour1.1, and zipping it.

Short of uninstalling linux and then reinstalling RH7.3 (since I'm not sure
that KDE2 is compatible with the RH8.0 packages) -  I've ran out of ideas.
This will be a real mess, since I stand to lose many packages I have
accumulated over time.

Can any of the developers / users advise?

One thing that can perhaps be done as an emergency measure to help
stranded Koffice end-users like me is to create a KDE3.0 compatible rpm of
Koffice 1.1. The list shows that the developers actually discussed doing
something like this at a certain point.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Tal Alexander

--
Faculty of Physics, Weizmann Institute of Science
PO Box 26, Rehovot 76100, Israel