List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [johnzulaikha@mac.com: KWord query?]
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-11-18 15:37:54

On Monday 18 November 2002 15:48, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Could someone answer him.
> Thanx.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from John Zulaikha <johnzulaikha@mac.com> -----
>
> To: zander@kde.org
>
> Dear Thomas, since we both start with a "z" I thought it neat to ask
> you my questions.
>
> As a newbie to OSX and Open Source I am still learning the "language".
> Found FinkCommander but  I require version 5 for 10.2 which (as they
> say) is imminent... but that could be a month - so I might have to
> learn how to instal a binary myself - but just checking if KWord is
> close to what I need.
>
> Looking inside KWord there is a tree structure (much the same as one
> would make for a web site with folders for images/pages/ but even more
> so with Tables/Frames etc. )
>
> ? Presumably this tree structure is automatically being built as I
> create a new file and I can use it to navigate the document.

The tree structure shows only the status of the current file, nothing else. So
for a new file, the tree will be nearly empty. (One "arrangement" and one
"frameset", one "frame" and one "page".)

> ? Presumably creating a new Frame (or just about any object/thing) ALSO
> creates a new DS listing and is added to the appropriate folder.

Yes!

> So the tree structure (Document Structure) seems far more sensible than
> Microsofts Document Map BUT can I imagine
> http://www.koffice.org/kword/pics/kword11.png  KWord might be able to
> handle large documents (like a novel) with MANY files accessable via
> the tree?

No, KWord cannot access external files. Everything must be in the same
document.

The example that you have choosen is only a  22 pages document containing 14
sections, some pictures, some tables... But all is only one document, one
file.

> ? So, that's a Document Structure that ALSO accesses other files (not
> just the one I'm currently working on)?

No!

> Cheers
> John Z
>
> ps. Also Can I export as an HTML structure and/or web site...  and the
> styles be converted to css.

Yes, with KWord 1.2, you can convert a KWord document into one HTML page. If
you select "enhanced mode" in the HTML export filter dialog, you get a HTML
page including CSS. Picture are stored in a sub-directory.

However be careful that:
- exporting frames (DTP mode) to HTML is not supported.
- importing HTML in KWord is not good.

For details about the filters, please look at the filter status pages:
http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.2

> ----- End forwarded message -----

Have a nice day/evening/night!