On Monday 18 November 2002 15:48, Thomas Zander wrote: > Could someone answer him. > Thanx. > > ----- Forwarded message from John Zulaikha ----- > > To: zander@kde.org > > Dear Thomas, since we both start with a "z" I thought it neat to ask > you my questions. > > As a newbie to OSX and Open Source I am still learning the "language". > Found FinkCommander but I require version 5 for 10.2 which (as they > say) is imminent... but that could be a month - so I might have to > learn how to instal a binary myself - but just checking if KWord is > close to what I need. > > Looking inside KWord there is a tree structure (much the same as one > would make for a web site with folders for images/pages/ but even more > so with Tables/Frames etc. ) > > ? Presumably this tree structure is automatically being built as I > create a new file and I can use it to navigate the document. The tree structure shows only the status of the current file, nothing els= e. So=20 for a new file, the tree will be nearly empty. (One "arrangement" and one= =20 "frameset", one "frame" and one "page".) > > ? Presumably creating a new Frame (or just about any object/thing) ALSO > creates a new DS listing and is added to the appropriate folder. Yes! > > So the tree structure (Document Structure) seems far more sensible than > Microsofts Document Map BUT can I imagine > http://www.koffice.org/kword/pics/kword11.png KWord might be able to > handle large documents (like a novel) with MANY files accessable via > the tree? > No, KWord cannot access external files. Everything must be in the same=20 document. The example that you have choosen is only a 22 pages document containing= 14=20 sections, some pictures, some tables... But all is only one document, one= =20 file. > ? So, that's a Document Structure that ALSO accesses other files (not > just the one I'm currently working on)? No! > > Cheers > John Z > > ps. Also Can I export as an HTML structure and/or web site... and the > styles be converted to css. Yes, with KWord 1.2, you can convert a KWord document into one HTML page.= If=20 you select "enhanced mode" in the HTML export filter dialog, you get a HT= ML=20 page including CSS. Picture are stored in a sub-directory. However be careful that: - exporting frames (DTP mode) to HTML is not supported. - importing HTML in KWord is not good. For details about the filters, please look at the filter status pages:=20 http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.2 > > ----- End forwarded message ----- Have a nice day/evening/night! ____________________________________ koffice mailing list koffice@mail.kde.org To unsubscribe please visit: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice