List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       "Piotr Gawrysiak" <pgawrysiak () supermedia ! pl>
Date:       2002-11-04 11:08:04

Hi Phillip,

> I point this out, because you may have the wrong impression about the
> developers of KOffice. We are not only some geeks who have fun to program
some
I hope not :-) I guess a typical "media - pictured" geek wouldn't even care
about such boring stuff as office productivity software ;-)

> easily add big functionality. Additional, I don't care about how long it
will
> take, otherwise I would have given up already. I'm only sure, we will
reach
I am not sure... Of course - this is open source project, but still some
roadmap, or vision, would be usefull. If only to suggest to other would-be
developers (or non professional supporters, I mean non-programmers) what can
be done within the project, and when to start worrying that the project has
stalled and needs help. Things like
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/timeline.html, or even (ehm)
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-features.html :-)

> supporters (e.g. anybody willing to enhance our homepage?) to bring
KOffice to
Homepage (you mean - http://www.koffice.org/kspread/?) - sure, I would like
to improve it :-) Not that I am a great web designer or something, but...
How can I help?

>Just have a look at our own TODO list in cvs:
Right, I should have checked it before :(

>More bug reports with good description is really needed. Such work from
your
>team will help KOffice the most. Best would be testing the compiled branch
>KOFFICE_1_2, so we get bugs fixed until next bugfix release (which should
be
>in some weeks).
OK. Sorry for my ignorance, but you mean KOFFICE_1_2_RELEASE? Would it the
same as compiled version shipped with, say, Mandrake 9.0?

>For home/private purposes, KSpread (and KOffice in general) is already fine
to use.
Speaking of this - for me KSpread seems to be the most finished of main
KOffice components. It might be because of the fact that in most cases
spreadsheet usage does not require sophisticated WYSIWYG capabilities to get
the work done, though :-)

Thanks for answering,

Piotr Gawrysiak