List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: 4 questions/comments
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () Physik ! TU-Muenchen ! DE>
Date:       2002-11-01 14:05:45

On Friday 01 November 2002 14:46, David Faure wrote:

> >    4. Where do I propose a new application I would like to see included
> >       in KOffice?  I think a money management tool would be a good
> >       component for an office productivity suite.  Personally, I am
> >       desparate for a good money management tool for Linux.  I used
> >       Quicken on Windows for years before switching all my financial
> >       info. over to Gnucash.  Then I couldn't get Gnucash to run!  Now I
> >       have no way of managing my finances.  I have been investigating
> >       apps like "kmymoney" as potential replacemnts, but without much
> >       luck.  Given the high degree of productivity and enthusiasm
> >       surrounding KOffice I think being included in the suite would be a
> >       "shot in the arm" for such a project.  I don't think adding yet
> >       another app. to KOffice is  necessarily bad, depending on the
> >       answer to question 3.  I imagine that the end user might choose to
> >       not install this app., if he didn't want to.
>
> This has little to do with KOffice (see the FAQ on why there's no mailer in
> koffice, etc.) (KOffice is about creating embeddable & printable
> documents).
> Hmm, now I can't remember the name, but there's a well-maintained financial
> app for KDE, developed out of KDE CVS. I curse my bad memory :)
> Please check on apps.kde.com, I think you'll find it easily.

There is also Kapital from The Kompany
(http://www.thekompany.com/products/kapital/ ). As far as I know, it is not a
free product, but it is developped by a company, which contributes to KDE
free software projects. I have never tried the program, but I think there was
a test in a German Linux magazine a while ago. It is not that expensive,
either.

CU,
Michael