List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KWord menu layout
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2002-10-10 12:58:09

> Well, the idea is that "Create Document from Template" is at the same place
> in all KOffice applications, currently...
Sorry my mistake, it is not Create Document from Template but Create Template
from Document. This option is, I guess, seldom used.

> In MSWord the room for headers/footers always exists. In KWord when you ask
> for a header it makes room for it, so it resizes the main frame. Since it
> modifies the document, it can't be put in View.
> Insert would be a solution, possibly, althought not very suited for a
> toggle action.

Well, headers and footers are special automatic frames. I guess a menu option
like
Insert --> create automatic frames --> Headers
Insert --> create automatic frames --> Footers
(and maybe we can think later of other automatic frames and a configuration
dialog for automatic frames /every page / odd / even / not on first page /
etc.)

If Headers and Footers have been created you will view them in page and
preview mode but not text mode.

But maybe before making a decision we should know if KWord is moving in the
future to the OpenOffice word format or not. If yes, then I guess, but
haven't look the OpenOffice specs, that headers and footers are attribute of
pages and not frames. There will be a tough decision to make. Either we keep
our philosophy of a frame oriented wordprocessor or we move back to
OpenOffice way, where I believe most of the formatting information is located
at the level of page or paragraph (similar to MsWord).

> > > c) When a table is not selected in the document, shouldn't it be
> > > put *all* greyed (and not only the inner menu items)?
> >
> > Yes, it would be better
>
> We have "Table Styles" there - shouldn't one be able to edit them even
> without selecting a table?
Humm, I've just understood what it is all about. The name is very bad, it is
not about Table Styles but Cell Styles. The name should be changed to Cell
style manager and Cell Style.
It is a poweful feature but it is a potential mess. I've created styles for
cells, but also style for paragraphs and framestyles and applied them on
different cells of a table and I have a nice mess. How all these styles are
going to interact ? For the moment, it is the last thing you do that take
precedence, but it is not very logical.
Either we disable paragraph and frameset styles for cells and the only place
where you change styles is the cell style either we get rid of the cell style
and styles for cell are controled through paragraph style and frameset style
The second option is more powerful but less intuitive.

I've just noticed a small buglet in the the Table Style Manager widget. When
you use the up and down blue arrow, the name of the table style is not
correctly refreshed in the Name box. It works when you use the mouse.

By the way are these blue arrows useful ? I think not : you can navigate with
the mouse or with the up and down arrow.

> > - In the Edit Menu an option 'select all text in the current frame'
>
> It's there already?

Yes, I've checked again. You are right. 'Select all', select all the text in
the current frame. But shouldn' t there be a menu option to select all the
text in all the frames (if there is multiple frames). IMO, we need the two
options.

Cheers,
Charles
--