List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kspread - unlimited table size
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-10-04 15:31:58

Hello El,

yes I plan to have "unlimited" rows and columns.

Trust me, I personally drop each week in my normal work in the 65k limitation
of the most commonly used spreadsheet application and I hate it for this).
So making KSpread here better than the competitors is one of my personal
goals.

Unlimited means here a value where I don't hear any user anymore complaining
about such a limit. But we still need to limit it.
And as long as computers have memory and performance limitations, we will
limit it in a reasonable way.

We are not a database and will never be, so keep in mind that we will never be
so much performant and memory optimized as a database and we always need to
keep the whole data in memory (maybe several times, when we e.g. have a pivot
table).

Currently the limitation isn't rather a principle technical issue (you can
enhance the limit by just changing 3 numbers), it's just that the current
implementation is to memory consumptive and the perfomance isn't usable
anymore.

Norbert is hardly working on design changes for the biggest block of memory
consumption and I'm working/will work on the performance issues.
Both are intrusive, so there is no way to enhance it shortly, even not for the
bugfix release 1.2.1, whenever it will be released.

So expect a limitation which should fit your needs with the release of KOffice
1.3.

Just for some room of discussion:
What is a reasonable limit?
I think of 2 Mio rows and 65k columns.
Rows because of some databases have this limit and columns as I really don't
know of any usage of more columns (with copy-paste special-transpond, for
what will you use it?). Where will you get the data to fill in more than 65k
columns?

So any comments/ideas/wishes on limitation?

Philipp