List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: installing koffice 1.2
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-09-29 16:54:22

On Sunday 29 September 2002 18:34, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
>I found all the koffice stuff in the
> /usr/local/kde....(I am not sitting on the linux
> machine for the moment, so I am not completely sure),
> but it was were it should be. I added the path to the
> bin directory to my PATH variable (I noticed that it
> was there already so the script must have done it) But
> all my original Koffice executable files are directly
> in /usr/bin. So when I started one of the applications
> it was still version 1.1.1 in the about box.

Two very important things:
* you must install KDE and KOffice in the same prefix
well, with 1.2 it's not so necessary anymore, it should work
even in different prefixes, but then the 2nd point applies even more:
* you can NOT have both koffice-1.1 and koffice-1.2 installed
at the same time (unless they are both OUT of the normal KDE
prefix. Otherwise KDE will load the libs for koffice-1.1 ...)

> I can see
> that the executable files, like kword, are really
> small, so I guess that they just serve to load
> something else.
Yes, kword.so in the lib directory.

> I tried switching the new and old, but
> the result is the same. When I try to start the new
> files directly (from out of Konqueror) there is an
> error message about a netsocket not being found and
> then the applications crash (Krashhandler comes up).

Uninstall KOffice-1.1

> 2. How can I mend my KDE printmanager, more in
> particular, how can I activate CUPS, will a reinstall
> do, or do you think something else is going on

I don't know here. Check KControl, it should offer to switch to CUPS.
If it doesn't, recompile kdelibs and make sure it found cups alright.

> 3. How can WYSIWYG in Kword. (Still using my 1.1.1
> version) I managed to get all fonts that I wanted
> installed, also in X using the font installer. The
> documents are shown on the screen in the right font,
> the preview and the final print also, but the page
> layout doesn't correspond. I end up with 1,25 pages
> (approximately) on paper for every page on the screen.
> So I gues it has to do with font metrics not
> corresponding, but any general idea what I can do
> about it?
Yes: get KOffice-1.2 to work, KWord is WYSIWYG in it ;-)

- --
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/