List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: koffice
From:       Viveka Nathan K <vivek () lantana ! tenet ! res ! in>
Date:       2002-09-27 5:13:33

Hi
Thanks for your response..

I am working in SARI project, which is a "SUSTAINABLE ACCESS IN RURAL INDIA"
handling by the TeNeT group, Indian Institute of Technology Madras. Our main aim
is to create the Information Technology Revolution in Rural areas.  Since Indian
are very poor in wealth, they couldnt buy a computer which costs as of now.
We planned to provide a system which has minimal configurations at lower cost.
So, we planned to provide the Linux OS with KDE Desktop, which is at free of
cost. We have localized everything there. Kernel, X, KDE etc.

Also, we planned to provide the system much cheaper ,where the people can use
their TV (color or black and white) as their monitor. For CPU, they can use a
older Motherboard, with TV card.  We can have a centralized server and the CPU's
can connect the Server from remote villages through our wallset connection
(www.tenet.res.in).  Their CPU's have only CD-drive, nothing other storage
devices than, FDD and RAM.  Here also we planned to Use the linux with KDE.
We couldnt install entire KDE suite, so we need to install KOffice only with
minimal installation. File saving and accessing are done in server only.

Can you tell me which is the better way to provide Koffice to rural people ?

On Yesterday David Faure wrote to Vivek :

DF:}

--

 Vivek