List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Printing fonts: Always sans serif
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-09-21 16:35:24

On Saturday 21 September 2002 2:40 am, Joel Hammer wrote:
|  After reading the install instructions of qt, and the warning qt 3 is not
|  binary compatible with older versions, I throw in the towel at trying to
|  install it.
|
|  Is there some way to get kword to output proper fonts without having to
|  upgrade three major packages on my fairly recent distro (libranet 2.0)?
|  (kde, koffice, and qt)

Hello Joel!

Well, printing from KWord 1.1 and KDE 2.2.x was working for me.
Just make sure that Qt is at least 2.3.1 (not 2.2.4, as 2.2.4 had some
problems when printing with TrueType fonts)

I think your current problem that fonts are not installed correctly.
Check wether:
1) there is a /etc/X11/XftConfig file on your system
2) it has references (lines) like:
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
3) those directories have some fonts inside :-)

--> than run from command line #xftcache
4) than open, say,
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
and look for XftCache file.
It should have some font names inside.
5) Try to use these fonts in KWord.

Hope this helps a litle bit!

P.S. well, if this *doesn't work* for you - well, you should look for a better
distribution...

|  Joel

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)