List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Announcement: wv2 preview
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-11 5:58:16

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 05:21, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Werner & David:
>
>  I could not use your instructions exactly as I have my kde  and koffice
> installed in a user directory. I don't want to install cvs HEAD in
> root.  here are the problems I had:
>
> On Tuesday 10 September 2002 05:22, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > How to install it:
> > 1) Get the "wv2" module from CVS
> > http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group id=10501 or download the tarball at
> >    http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/trobin/wv2-20020910.tar.bz2
>
>  I used the tarball.
>
> > (471KB) 2) Install it (./autogen.sh && make && make install)
> >    Please don't use any special --prefix for now, as the configure
> > check in KOffice doesn't allow to specify alternative locations, yet.
>
>  Well  my kde CVS head is installed in an account  /home/kword/kde-copy.
> I have the bin/ , lib/ and include/  directories there. I used
>
> ./configure --bindir=/home/kword/kde-copy/bin/
> --libdir=/home/kword/kde-copy/lib
> --includedir=/home/kword/kde-copy/include/
>
> for configuring wv2. wv2 compiled and installed ( in
> /home/kword/kde-copy ) just fine.

--prefix=/home/kword/kde-copy would have been enough ;-)

::snip::

> > What to test:
> > 1) Please only test Word97 (or newer) documents. Opening any older
> > documents will return an empty KWord document for now.
>

>  I tried to open a basic MSWord file (Office97) and I got "could not
> import file of type application/msword".  I moved my ~./kde directory
> and restarted the KDE desktop but Kword would still would not load the
> MSWord docs. Also previews of MSword docs in Konqueror give a similar
> error message. Do I have to allow wv2 to install in /usr/bin for the
> filters to work ? I am really hesitant to do that.

Shouldn't be necessary. The point in suggesting /usr/local (the default) was
that the KOffice filter's configure check didn't have a --with-libwv2=DIR
option, so only a few places like /usr/local and $KDEDIR were checked.

Yesterday I added such an option to koffice/filters/kword/msword. Please
update this directory and rerun make -f Makefile.cvs in case you want to use
that option. configure should list this option on configure --help then.
As you put the library into your $KDEDIR it got picked up correctly.

In your comments from above you didn't tell us whether the KOffice part of the
filter was compiled and installed successfully (filters/kword/msword in Step
(5) of the instructions).

Please check if the following files exist:
- $KDEDIR/share/services/kword_msword_import.desktop
- $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/application/msword.desktop
- $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/application/msword2.desktop
- $KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libmswordimport.so

If this is the case and your ksycoca database isn't corrupted (very vey
unlikely if your KDE is running and just this filter doesn't work) it should
work(tm).

If it still doesn't work please send a full log (start kword from the konsole
and redirect the output to a file) to me (private mail, please ;)

Thanks for testing,
Werner