List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Announcement: wv2 preview
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-09-11 5:49:30

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 2:22 pm, Werner Trobin wrote:
|  Hi!
|
|  David Faure and I are developing a replacement of the current MS Word
| filter in KOffice. The project's name is wv2 (the 2nd version of the
| word-view library) and consists of two parts: a document reader library,
| which handles the gory parsing of the MS Word documents and feeds a
| so-called consumer with the gathered information. This abstraction makes it
| possible to use the low-level library in other projects, too.

What will happen with existing Word import filter?
I know that Ariya Hidayat <ariya@kde.org> was comitting patches to that
filter, and those pacthes fixed import of many Word documents for me.

On the other hand, does wv2 support *export* of Word documents?

|  wv2, the low-level library, depends on a working C++ compiler (tested with
|  gcc-2.95.3, the Mandrake gcc-2.96, gcc 3.1, and gcc-3.2) and libiconv
|  (should be installed on almost all systems).

It would be nice if you can prepare RPM for LM 8.2, installable together with
kde3-koffice-1.2-0.rc1.1mdk (or newer releases)
it's not the problem if install of such rpm would require --force :-)

|  Additionally it uses libole2, but if this library is not found on your
|  system it will use an internal copy (including a stripped down version of
|  glib). Shortly put -- very light dependencies, so it shouldn't be a major
|  headache to install wv2.
|
|  The library is also designed to run on various systems, but I only have
|  access to the sourceforge compile farm, so please give it a try with your
|  weird compilers and Unices (and report any failures). It should be pretty
|  portable, but the compiler has to support namespaces and provide a working
|  STL.
|
|  Currently the filter is able to import section, paragraph and character
|  properties, tabs, lists, and several other properties from Word 97 and
|  Word 2000 documents (I didn't test Word XP, but it should also work). I
|  put a screenshot showing some of those features here
|  http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/trobin/wv2_1.png and here
|  http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/trobin/wv2_2.png.
|  It's planned to support Word 6 and Word 95 in the near future. I also have
|  some documentation about older formats (Word 2, 3, 4, 5), but I consider
|  support for other features like tables or embedded images more important.
|
|  We think the filter has reached a stage where curious developers and users
|  might want to give it a try. This would help us to test the filter on real
|  world documents, not just on our limited set of test documents.
|
|  How to install it:
|  1) Get the "wv2" module from CVS
[...]

--