List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Announcement: wv2 preview
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2002-09-11 3:21:33

Werner & David:

 I could not use your instructions exactly as I have my kde  and koffice
installed in a user directory. I don't want to install cvs HEAD in
root.  here are the problems I had:

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 05:22, Werner Trobin wrote:
> How to install it:
> 1) Get the "wv2" module from CVS
> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=10501 or download the tarball at
>    http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/trobin/wv2-20020910.tar.bz2

 I used the tarball.

> (471KB) 2) Install it (./autogen.sh && make && make install)
>    Please don't use any special --prefix for now, as the configure
> check in KOffice doesn't allow to specify alternative locations, yet.

 Well  my kde CVS head is installed in an account  /home/kword/kde-copy.
I have the bin/ , lib/ and include/  directories there. I used

./configure --bindir=/home/kword/kde-copy/bin/
--libdir=/home/kword/kde-copy/lib
--includedir=/home/kword/kde-copy/include/

for configuring wv2. wv2 compiled and installed ( in
/home/kword/kde-copy ) just fine.

> 3) Update koffice/filters/kword/msword and rerun make -f Makefile.cvs
> in the toplevel directory.

 I did this.

> 4) Run configure, it should list a (successful) check for wv2. To
> verify that you could grep your config.h for HAVE_WV2 (should be

It was there in the configure step:
checking for wv2-config... /home/kword/kde-copy/bin/wv2-config

I also had this in koffice/config.h:
/* Defines if your system has the wv2 library */
#define HAVE_WV2 1

> #defined) 5) make / make install the koffice/filters/kword/msword
> directory 6) Remove
> $KDEDIR/share/services/ole_winword97_import.desktop (this step is
> very important, if you forget about that you'll just use the old

I removed the ole_winword97_import.desktop

> filter) Alternatively you could also update
> koffice/filters/olefilters and just execute make install again. This
> will uninstall the .desktop file for you. 7) Run kbuildsycoca or
> trust the dirwatcher thingy to trigger it for you.

I did this and reran kbuildsycoca

> Use it like any other KOffice filter.
>
> What to test:
> 1) Please only test Word97 (or newer) documents. Opening any older
> documents will return an empty KWord document for now.

 I tried to open a basic MSWord file (Office97) and I got "could not
import file of type application/msword".  I moved my ~./kde directory
and restarted the KDE desktop but Kword would still would not load the
MSWord docs. Also previews of MSword docs in Konqueror give a similar
error message. Do I have to allow wv2 to install in /usr/bin for the
filters to work ? I am really hesitant to do that.

 I have this for my directories and path:
export QTDIR=/home/kword/qt-copy
export KDEDIR=/home/kword/kde-copy
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

 I am using Koffice  Head on KDE Head.

										TIA

										Jonathan