List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems with Fonts/Printing
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-08-27 9:04:40

On Monday 26 August 2002 6:39 pm, David Faure wrote:
|  On Monday 26 August 2002 10:41, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > * Than restart KWord (close it and start again)
|  > I am not sure why this step is necessary - probably, KDE/KOffice doesn't
|  > have *deep enough* interaction with XFT  :-(
|
|  Xft initialisation (including reading XftConfig) is done at application
| startup time.

I have noticied that if you add font to c:\windows\font, it becomes visible
next time you open Font dialog (say, in MS Word), or press LMB on Font List
drop-down box in MS Word.
I think Windows converters (people switched to KDE from Windows) would expect
similar behavior.

I recognize that KDE is not aware of new font being copied to, say, ../MyFonts
dir, by I think KDE can recognize that there are some changes in installed
fonts when user (or 3rd party installer) invokes #xftcache.
Is there any signal communication between Xft and Qt/KDE?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)