List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: another suggestion for writing new filters
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-09 12:30:27

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 13:34, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Dienstag, 9. Juli 2002 01:41, Alexander Dymo wrote:

::snip::

> > Again, there are so many problems with this, so the time required on
> > adopting KWord to OOo file format can be better used to improve own
> > filters and/or libraries (vw2?).
>
> Yes, but wv2 is also KOffice stuff.

Just for the record: wv2 is as much KOffice centered as the old wv library --
not at all. Right now it doesn't do a lot more than reading the plain text
out of a WinWord 97+ file, but it only depends on stuff like the STL, libole2
(and due to that on parts of glib, shipped with wv2).

> So we have still the same problem: where
> are the volunteers?

Well, that's the real problem, but as Shaheed already said I've already got a
number of mails from volunteers and we both spent some time to get them
started (which is perfectly okay, and I'd do it again and again) but
nothing[1] ever came from this.

I know that it's boring and frustrating to reverse engineer that format, and
it's a pain to follow the OpenOffice/wv code, but just proposing that it
should be done (at times with a funny schedule attached[2], I might add ;)
unfortunately won't get it done.

This week I'll have my last exam for this semester and I plan to have a look
at the Apache thingy. One huge problem I see are the ugly dependencies and
license issues. Due to that I'm rather sceptic, but we will see.

Unless David bugs me with problems in the KOffice Library before 1.2 (or the
Apache library is The Silver Bullet(tm)) I plan to get some work done on wv2
again (in the "Word 8 (97) and newer" part of the code as noone seems to be
using Word 7 (95) or older stuff anymore). Especially design wise there are
some important questions to solve before any serious work should be done.

Please don't get me wrong, it's not my intention to offend anyone, nor to
scare away people who plan to work on these filters, but iterating the
discussion over and over again is tiring.

Ciao,
Werner

[1]... Nothing is perhaps a bit too drastic, but the code didn't really change
a lot since Shaheed or I last touched it.[3]

[2]... In case you wonder about a realistic schedule you might want to ask
Karl-Heinz Zimmer about his experience :-)

[3]... Somehow the footnote density in mails skyrocketed[4] since KWord
supports them

[4]... What a funky business English term!