List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: another suggestion for writing new filters
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-09 11:34:49

On Dienstag, 9. Juli 2002 01:41, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > I hate this idea for the same reason that I suspect David gave...its
> > hacky and subject to data loss. Why do you assume that openwriter has the
> > semantics required to support all these formats? Its pretty obvoous to me
> > that all programs of a given class have different features. Reducing them
> > to a single format is a bad idea - once you have lost data, there is no
> > way back.
>
> So, why we are talking about using OOo file format? KWord and OOWriter
> are different. May be it would be wiser to not to restrict KWord to the
> foreign file format?

Well, for filters it does not matter much. I do not think that the difference
between the two file formats are items commonly found in foreign formats.

And for KWord itself, it is not planned to restrict it to the possibilities of
OOWriter or we would have to drop all the DTP mode.

> Again, there are so many problems with this, so the time required on
> adopting KWord to OOo file format can be better used to improve own
> filters and/or libraries (vw2?).

Yes, but wv2 is also KOffice stuff. So we have still the same problem: where
are the volunteers?

> Alexander Dymo

Have a nice day/evening/night!