List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Multiple text boxes in Kivio stencil.
From:       esuvs () csv ! warwick ! ac ! uk
Date:       2002-06-30 13:24:01

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Alexander Dymo wrote:

> On Saturday 29 June 2002 09:29, esuvs@csv.warwick.ac.uk wrote:
> > This question has been asked before, but the answer got lost as it
> > turned into a debat about licensing issues...
> > 	Basicly, is it possible to have more than one text box associated
> > with a stencil? For example, a UML class diagram may have one textbox for
> > the calss name, one for the attributes, and one for the operations. When I
> > try to specify more than one text box they all contain the same text, and
> > modifying one modifys the others.
>
> My proposition:
> Embed python into Kivio, enable pyqt modules for it,
> so we will be able to execute stensil dialogs, created
> with QtDesigner (and any other code can be written in python).
> Python code can be included into .sml file, for example into
> <KivioStensilDialog>
> 	#python code
> </KivioStensilDialog>
> In Kivio .flw files there should be another tags for saving stensil
> information than <KivioTextStyle text="">.
>
> PS: I didn't look into the problem with more attention at present moment.
> If we define what should be done, I can take care of it.

  It certainly appears that to create more complex stencils the
functionality of Kivio will need to be improved. I saw some use of python
in the source code for the basic flowcharting set which came with Kivio,
but didn't really know what it did. Python does therefore seem like quite
a natural way to do it.
  Alternativly what about doing it as a plugin or using QWidgetFactory to
load forms from XML descriptions? I haven't used this feature of Qt but it
appears it might be the kind of situation it was designed for. Although I
have done some Qt programming I have not done KDE programming, so maybe
the KDE libraries provide a better way of doing this?