List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: removing commas from a cell in kspread
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2002-06-18 7:22:43

On Monday 17 June 2002 00:25, John Dailey wrote:
> On Saturday 15 June 2002 06:22 am, Rob Benton wrote:
> > I've got a cell in kspread that contains numeric data 13 digits long.
> >  But I don't want commas in it.  Is there a way to format it so that it
> > reads like this:
> > 3233112984432
> > instead of this:
> > 3,233,112,984,432
> No, there is not a way to do it -- but this looks like a good idea.  Please
> use bugs.kde.org to add a wishlist request for it.  I believe this would
> take very little time to add so it almost certainly could be done for the
> KOffice 1.2 release.

Actually this made me think that it would be interesting to have pipes to sed
in cells. Something like this:

=D13+D14 | sed "s/,//"

would solve this problem in a completely generic way instead of adding any
number of adhoc solutions to parts of this problem.

If you don't want to use the shell like approach to this (which would make the
parser more, well, interesting) this would also be fine:

=SED(D13+D14, "s/,//")

If this sounds interesting, I might take a stab at implementing it myself.
What do you think?

Bo.

     Free software developer    |   5290 Marslev
     SuSE Labs                  |   Denmark