List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems printing to CUPS printer
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-06-04 11:59:37

On Monday 03 June 2002 8:05 pm, Raimund Dold wrote:
|  On Saturday 01 June 2002 21:06, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > |
|  > |  I have a DeskJet Printer on my second PC which is connected via
|  > | samba. I installed the printer via the control center as a cups
|  > | printer. Printing the test page during installation worked without
|  > | problems. But if I try to print a document from within KOffice the
|  > | printer starts but just feeds the paper through the printer without
|  > | printing anything. Does anyone know what is wrong?
|  >
|  > Can you pls provide some extra info:
|  > * which fonts you use
|
|  I did not install any special fonts. The font setting in KWord is
| Helvetica. How do I get more precise info, or is it enough for you?

This *can* be a problem.
What about:
1) #cd /mnt/windows/windows/fonts
(assuming that Windows partition has Windows name)
2)  check where TrueType fonts are installed
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ cat /etc/X11/XftConfig | grep TrueType
# Use with Type1 and TrueType fonts
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType"

3) copy TTF fonts to X11R6
(assuming you are in Windows/Fonts dir)
#cp *.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
4) run #xftcache to make fonts visible

after it, select Arial or Times New Roman in KWord, and try to print again.
It *should* work!

|  > * wether the page has graphics
|
|  No, only text.
|
|  > * have you succeded printing PDF from , say, KGhostView?
|
|  The first print from KGhostView did work flawlessly, but nothing happened
|  afterwards. Neither printing the same doc from KGhostView again nor
| printing from another app worked. I stopped and restarted the cups service,
| but that did not help neither.
|  In this state, nothing happened if I printed from any program. Rebooting
| the PC (Win95, btw) enabled printing again. First printing from KWord gave
| the already known results, and printing afterwards from KGhostView worked,
| but afterwards nothing happened anymore, again.
|
|  > BTW: what version of CUPS do you have?
|
|  rpm -qa | grep -i cups delivered the following:
|
|  cups-libs-1.1.12-69
|  yast2-agent-cups-2.5.6-31
|  qtcups-2.0-319
|  cups-client-1.1.12-69
|  yast2-config-cups-2.5.16-7
|  yast2-trans-cups-2.5.14-8
|  cups-1.1.12-69
|  cups-drivers-1.1.10-78
|
|  Should be everything from a SuSe 8.0 installation.
|
|  > Do you use Foomatic drivers or some 'CUPS default'?
|
|  I use Foomatic (what is that ?) drivers. Kups says the following:
|  HP DeskJet 400, Foomatic + hpdj

No I wonder where SuSE puts Foomatic drivers.
I have following installed:
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -q foomatic
foomatic-1.9-0.20020516mdk

plus some older package (20020323)
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ locate foomatic | grep rpm
/usr/local/KDE/Printing/foomatic-1.1-0.20020323mdk.i586.rpm
/usr/local/KDE/Printing/foomatic-1.9-0.20020516mdk.i586.rpm

[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -qa | grep cups
cups-common-1.1.14-2mdk
libcups1-1.1.14-2mdk
cups-1.1.14-2mdk

|  If I look into the cups error_log I see the following for every job I
|  submitted:
|
|  I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Job 22 queued on 'AngiesPrinter' by
| 'raimund'. I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started filter
| /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 3872) for job 22.
|  I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started filter
| /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic (PID 3873) for job 22.
|  I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb
| (PID 3874) for job 22.

Do you have this printer connected to Windows machine?..
I guess /smb stands for Samba.

|  So it seems, that the jobs are queued somewhere, but nothing happens. So,
|  there are at least two problems
|
|  Raimund

P.S. You have *bad luck* with ownership of DJ400.
In my opinion, it's one of the worst printers in the world.
If you have $50 left - buy Epson Stylus C40 (or any of Stylus 400 series),
it's much, much better than HP's low-end printer.
As about laser printers - do not buy LJ1000, it's a piece of crap (hint: check
Foomatic's driver comments about that model, if you do not believe me)
I use in office Xerox Docuprint P8e and very happy with it. Taking into
consideration that it costs $220 in retail here, this looks like a good deal.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)