List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems printing to CUPS printer
From:       Raimund Dold <raimunddold () web ! de>
Date:       2002-06-03 16:05:27

On Saturday 01 June 2002 21:06, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 11:58 pm, Raimund Dold wrote:
> |  Hi,
> |
> |  I have a DeskJet Printer on my second PC which is connected via samba. I
> |  installed the printer via the control center as a cups printer. Printing
> | the test page during installation worked without problems. But if I try
> | to print a document from within KOffice the printer starts but just feeds
> | the paper through the printer without printing anything. Does anyone know
> | what is wrong?
>
> Can you pls provide some extra info:
> * which fonts you use

I did not install any special fonts. The font setting in KWord is Helvetica.
How do I get more precise info, or is it enough for you?

> * wether the page has graphics

No, only text.

> * have you succeded printing PDF from , say, KGhostView?

The first print from KGhostView did work flawlessly, but nothing happened
afterwards. Neither printing the same doc from KGhostView again nor printing
from another app worked. I stopped and restarted the cups service, but that
did not help neither.
In this state, nothing happened if I printed from any program. Rebooting the
PC (Win95, btw) enabled printing again. First printing from KWord gave the
already known results, and printing afterwards from KGhostView worked, but
afterwards nothing happened anymore, again.

> BTW: what version of CUPS do you have?

rpm -qa | grep -i cups delivered the following:

cups-libs-1.1.12-69
yast2-agent-cups-2.5.6-31
qtcups-2.0-319
cups-client-1.1.12-69
yast2-config-cups-2.5.16-7
yast2-trans-cups-2.5.14-8
cups-1.1.12-69
cups-drivers-1.1.10-78

Should be everything from a SuSe 8.0 installation.
> Do you use Foomatic drivers or some 'CUPS default'?

I use Foomatic (what is that ?) drivers. Kups says the following:
HP DeskJet 400, Foomatic + hpdj

If I look into the cups error_log I see the following for every job I
submitted:

I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Job 22 queued on 'AngiesPrinter' by 'raimund'.
I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID
3872) for job 22.
I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic
(PID 3873) for job 22.
I [03/Jun/2002:17:47:33 -0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb (PID
3874) for job 22.

So it seems, that the jobs are queued somewhere, but nothing happens. So,
there are at least two problems

Raimund