List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Interested in Kontour
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-05-12 17:23:11

On Friday 10 May 2002 20:43, Phillip Blake wrote:
|  To the dev team,
|
|  I am a graphic designer that has become increasingly uneasy with the
|  Microsoft philosophy of "own everything that is computing" and decided
|  to investigate Linux.  So far so very, very good.  It is a beautiful
|  operating system well hidden from the general public - this is a crime
|  and a pity.  My instant evaluation of Linux is that it is quite advanced
|  and certainly an equal for XP.  Truly... I think it is much better.  Now
|  for my dilemma.  As a graphic designer that has always used Corel
|  products, I must now look for Linux alternatives - particularly now
|  Microsoft owns 1/4 of Corel and he forced them to shutdown both their
|  Linux distribution and adapted graphic design software.  So far I have
|  found you guys but am unsure how serious your program is in meeting some
|  crucial requirements for a graphic designer.  For instance, do you
|  support PMS colours and do you support the CMYK colour space?  Can your
|  program export to PDF?  How advanced are the editing tools themselves?
|   Would you rate them as being close to Corel or just starting out?

In addition to KOffice apps:
If you are intersted in Vector-drawing program: you may want to try Sodipodi
(http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net)
I found it rather useful for SVG graphics.
For combined Vector/Raster:  try ImageMagick.

As about export to PDF - all KDE programs can "Print to PDF", this is Print to
PS process with conversion from PS to PDF using GhostScript.
So, IMO "Export to PDF" is present in KOffice.

Hope this helps a little bit :-)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)