List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: slow kformula
From:       Paul Lambert <p.e.lambert () maths ! soton ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-29 8:47:33

On Friday 26 April 2002 12:34 pm, Ulrich Kuettler wrote:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 12:42, Paul Lambert wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I am have just started to use the current cvs version of office, and I am
> > having trubble with kformula. Is anyone finding it very slow? I was
> > hoping to use it for a talk that i'm giving on thursday, but I can't at
> > the moment. It seems to work fine, but it just takes a long time ( 8+
> > seconds per letter).
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> kformula did never win a price for speed, but on common hardware it
> shouldn't be that slow! You must take into account, however, that loading
> fonts takes some time. Often the first char doesn't show up immediately.
> But while you are working with kformula you shouldn't suffer such pauses.

Yes, This is what I am expereancing. The first char of a font are very slow to
appear, but after that they are quick. This is not just the first char, but
the first of a font. eg. \alpha\beta etc will be fine until I then use \int
which then takes a long time etc. Is this becuase i'm using xft, with esstixt
installed as ttf fonts

> About the output you kindly provided: You will need to have the esstix
> fonts installed. And you will need to use the latest cvs version. KFormula
> won't find the fonts otherwise.

I don't understand this. I have esstix installed. They appear as options in
look-feel::fonts. But I still get this output for each esstix font installed.

kformula: Font 'esstixthree' not found but
'ESSTIXThree-12:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=16.1751:encoding=iso10646-1 \
:core=False:antialias=True:index=0:outline=True:scalable=True:rgba=0:render=True'.

I get the same output when loading kword. The drop down list has the font
name, but it isn't displayed using that font. If I select the font the I can
write with it.

Thanks for the help
Paul

PS the machine is P3 450, 128mb, runing redhat 7.1(with many updates) XFree86
4.1