List:       koffice
Subject:    KWord usability report, missing features
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-02-25 20:38:53

Following different opinions/usability reports for KOffice, I decided to make one \
more test on my one. Here are results:

Objective:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
To produce product datasheet (1-page, simple layout, with one picture) in KWord, with \
later export ("printing") to PDF and HTML, for placement on web.

Source materials:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
MS Word for Windows .doc file, which contains all text information formatted as is \
should be placed on datasheet. Hi-res picture of product is available separately (not \
included into this mail or KWord file). Source .doc file is available for \
investigation for interesting parties off-list.  (31.5K)

Output:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Resulting KWord file is attached to this mail.

* pre-liminary preparation.
As I couldn't import Word .doc file successfully into KWord (probably, due to usage \
of tables), I exported file from Word 2000 as "text-converted" (cp1251 or UTF8) and \
as HTML.  Ok, HTML exported from Word is very ugly - but you can open it in Konqueror \
without any problems, and copy'n'paste text from Konq to KWord. That's what I did.

* original Word file used Tables for layout of two differnet columns, I pasted "main" \
text into main frame and text from the right column (insert-like) into new text \
frame. Than I stretched frame on the right side so that text from the left doen't \
overrun it - so I got my two columns. Good!

Now problems start.
a) no option to define left/right/top/bottom "margins" for the frame's content
Obviously, they should exist - as otherwise you can't format inner content of the \
frame correctly. There is a Page -> Format option, which defines margins/number of \
columns for a whole page. Any reason why it's not used for other frames?

when exported to HTML: those "margins" can be exported as "padding" CSS values, \
creating same effect in HTML. So, adding such option doesn't conflict with HTML/CSS \
formatting.

BTW: I partially overcome this limitation by adding "indent" for *every* style used \
for formatting inside the frame. But I think this is an ugly hack and indents should \
not be  used in this way.

b) no option to define border type/size/color for the frame
This is really confusing... I changed background, but light-gray is bg should be \
bounded by more contrast border, to separate two parts. Any idea how to overcome \
this?

c) tables
Tables should also have left/top/right/bottom margins, which will allow to add \
necessary space around them. Such margins can be easily translated/mapped into CSS \
'margin' property.
It seems this limittaion can be softened by using "indent" but than *every* cell \
inside table is indented.

d) no option for table cell's border type/size/color, and for a whole table itself.
It seems that table layout uses *frame* for every cell. Is it correct?
Than fixing frame wil fix this limitation as well.
On a second thought: isn't it some kind of overhead, to use frames for table cells?..

e) how to sselect all cells in one table?
In Word, I go to first cell, and drag mouse to the last cell.
In result, all cells are selected.
In KWord, I can select only one cell by such method.

f) margins/padding for the "main" text section (left side in my example page)
Text from this section comes too close to the frame on rigth side.
I need to add extra space between frame and text. Can it be done?

g) frame inserting/positioning.
Is it possible to use other units than 'mm'?
Any chance to specify 'absolute' or 'relative' positioning for it (taken from CSS \
specs)?

h) HTML export
When exported, content of the frame on right side is putted below the main text, \
"inline" (not into separate frame) That's probably related to g).
When you specify exact 'absolute' or 'relative' positioning for the frame, you can \
just use that CSS value in exported HTML, plus add top/left/bottom/right values (for  \
absolutely positioned frame) or left/top /width/height (for relatively positioned \
frame)

i) in printed PS/PDF files, letterson right side of the page sometimes truncated \
(cutted) I hope this is fixed in upcominbg KWord 1.2 - but, shouldn't KWord move the \
word to the next line, if there is no space available, even in non-WYSIWYG version? \
Most peoplke would consider cutted character on printout as a serious bug.

Opinion/Conclusion:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
KWord can be used for the specified task, but needs some extra tuning.
Still, it would be difficult for Windows/Word users to migrate to KWord
(believe me, I have seen *how* they format their docs - it's incredible!)

Hope all futures mentioned above will be available in upcoming KWord 1.2.
Should I file separate wishlists for them on bugs.kde.org, or it's enough to post \
this mail on KOffice ML? Looking forward to hear your comments!..

Best regards,
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)

["DES-6000-3-TNR-justified.kwd" (application/x-kword)]