List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Patch for KSpread (fix label text of columns)
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-02-23 10:57:56

Am Samstag, 23. Februar 2002 11:10 schrieb Werner Trobin:

> This patch is a first step, but a lot will break from that change. Just
> have a look at encode/decodeFormula and you'll see what I mean.
You are right, a lot will break, if I/we fully start to support full
columns>26*26
But this patch only changes the routine which returns only the text for the
column, which is/was in the case of >26*26 only "@@@".

I checked the sources where this function is used and there is neither a
check for "@@@" nor seems to be a problem in general.
But I may have missed something, as always.

The next step for me is to realy support more than 26*26 columns.

> Who needs more than 26*26 cells anyway, if it's possible to have multiple
> tables?
I need it within EXCEL in my normal job sometimes. And sometimes I'm even
lost with the limitations of EXCEL.

Just imagine you use a long list of more than 26*26 rows. Then you like to
use the function "insert special - transpond" (which switches x/y all values
like B1 <-> A2) and you are lost with such limitations. KSpread doesn't
support this very useful functionality (yet)

I have looked through the sources. It's more a limitation due to this "@@@"
then to a real 26*26.

General:
Columns are currently int values and from my point of view there is no real
reason to not use the full range of 2^15.
And as nobody else is currently working on this, I will give it a try

Ciao

Philipp