List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KPresenter - Powerpoint filter [Re: KOffice for KDE3]
From:       "Michael Marcucio" <michaelmarcucio () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-02-14 3:54:23

>(Maybe
> > >
> > > How interesting. BTW: I did some looking into LZW and could not come
> > > any real conclusion if we wold be legally safe to decode it. Did you
> > > learn anything on this topic?
> >
> > And to answer my own question...
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html says:
>Decode == good
>Encode == bad.

this is good to hear....

>So the export filter may not be able to generate templates?

well don't quote me on this because i really didn't investigate it too
deeply but i think that we can encode the information without compressing it
and powerpoint should still be able to read it. also, i don't know exactly
what kind of information is contained in this container but the microsoft
documentation(which is incomplete and sometimes wrong) says it is a LZW
compressed container. i guess that it has something to do with templates
because i have not come across this container in files that do not have a
template, only files that i created from a template.
in any case, i will make this my first priority on this project. if anyone
else wants to look into this also, please contact me so that we can chat
about it...
mike