List:       koffice
Subject:    Kword kudos!!  Many, many thanks!
From:       Ray <techwrite () ziplip ! com>
Date:       2002-01-03 2:19:35

Dear Koffice team,

I'm a professor of English at Boston University, and a
boxed-set purchaser of Red Hat 6.1, 6.2, and now 7.2  (I
did a network upgrade to 7.1).  I have been using the KDE
desktop since converting my pc to Linux.  I have watched
with great interest as your team has worked to make Kword a
more seamless international word processor.  You guys (and
girls) are doing a great job!!

I was absolutely overjoyed to find that now I can cut text
from the web and paste it into Kword and retain the
formatting.  In my case, I'm using Kword (and Word Perfect
8 for Linux) as my main word processors--Kword mainly for
making vocabulary lists that contain both English and
Japanese characters.  It is SO WONDERFUL to finally have
the functionality of a word processor that also does a
great job of rendering Japanese.  Many, many thanks.

I have several small suggestions which I hope will be
useful.

One, I suggest that in the "Page Format" section you also
include more alternate page sizes, preferably Avery label
codes so that it's easy to print to bubblejet labels.  It's
quite tricky now to align the fonts, etc., so that they
print neatly, and I'm sure many users would find a quick
label setting quite helpful.  It's a standard feature in
many word processors, and one I've come to need.  I would
suggest 4 or 5 different preset sizes--one that's about
1"x2", one about 2x4, one for business shipping, and so on.

Second, I would love to see Kword integrate the Canna and
Kinput2 functions, so that I could write Japanese directly
into the Kword document.  Currently I pull it up in Kmail
and then cut and paste, but it's inconvenient.  If Kword
already supports this feature, I would love to have a quick
email back about how to set it up.  The documentation on
Japanese usage (for non-Japanese speakers) is scanty.  :-)
If I can do this already, please let me know.

Lastly, would it be possible to include japanese font sizes
larger than 72 as a standard feature?  My hope is to be
able to create large (10cm x 20cm) flashcards--the current
72 size only gives a kanji about a fourth that size.  It
works adequately, but giant sizes would be very useful.
Again, perhaps this is something that is Kword independent,
in which case please don't trouble yourselves.  If anyone
on your Japanese team knows how this might be done, I'd be
very appreciative.  The technical aspect of how a letter
(or kanji) gets turned into a scalable font is something
that's always been a bit of a mystery to me.  :-)

Happy New Year to all of you, and please continue your work
on what is certainly (in my opinion anyway!) the best
open-source project out there.  As a teacher and writer,
I've needed a solid, full-function, multi-purpose office
suite, and Koffice is there.  I do my grading on the
spreadsheet, and I'm now happily creating my vocabulary
files in Kword.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give, but no
need to reply if you don't have time.  I'll keep my eyes
open for future releases and keep my fingers crossed.  Best
of luck, and have a nice 2002.

Sincerely,

Ray Bartlett
Boston University