List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Database in KOffice?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-11-24 11:30:44

On Friday 23 November 2001 15:51, Harvey Clowers wrote:
|   Hello.
|
|   I am migrating from Windows 2000 and all other Microshaft software early
| in AD 2002.
|
|   Also, I will, very sadly, need to migrate from Lotus SmartSuite (a
| sweet/suite holdover from my days as an OS/2 Warp user), as well. I have
| some important databases in Lotus Approach, and spreadsheets in 1-2-3, that
| I will need to convert to a Linux counterpart.

Can you convert Lotus Approach files to DBF (dBase)? Than you will be able to
use those files in 3rd-party applications.

|   Does KOffice have a database? And if so, can it convert Lotus approach
| files? Can it convert Lotus 1-2-3 files? And please, take this opportunity

Convert 1-2-3 files to comma-separated files, and import them.

| to tell me why I should consider using your product over, say, SUN's
| StarOffice?

If you expect your work to be done *in a short time*, and hardware you use is
slow or average, than you need to use KOffice (and therefor, need to adopt
your database/spreadsheet formats to XML/KOffice formats)

If you have *fast* hardware, like 1Ghz Athlon or Pentium 4, I believe you can
use StarOffice/OpenOffice as well. Just make sure that you have at least
256MB of RAM installed.
NOTE that there can be some "hidden costs" in using StarOffice (as it's not
free, but available for free download at a moment). Make sure that you have
read StarOffice's license first (before migrating to it)

For example, I don't have JavaVM here, as it doesn't come with my favourite
Linux distribution. And IMO 30MB+ download (for JavaVM) doesn't worth
efforts. But Java is required for StarOffice - so I even can't try it without
installing Java (and this is the biggest disadvantage for end-users, from my
point of view).

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)