List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: openoffice compatibiliteit review
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-11-11 0:37:59

On Friday 09 November 2001 21:40, Richard Bos wrote:
|   At the underneath link, there is a review of how well openoffice performs
|   conversions from and to MS docs.  I did not like this part of their
| review:
|
|   <quote>
|   While XML is already standard for certain data already, Sun has taken the
|   lead in bringing XML to the office arena -- delivering its
| fully-documented format to OpenOffice.org. If the open source community --
| practically everyone but Microsoft -- can pick it up XML and run with it, a
| future of true compatibility and portability will be within reach.
|   </quote>

This just prooves the fact that Sun is no way better than Microsoft.
They are *both* the same kind of companies - capture as much of the market as
possible, and use monopoly/patents to rule the world.

As you can conclude from the site's name, consultingtimes.com, it is targeted
to consultants. Consultants are working on "per hour" basis. Sun bought some
number of "hours" of "consultants" writing articles for this site. That's it.

|   As koffice started long before openoffice with XML formatted docs!
|
|   This is the link: http://consultingtimes.com/SOConversions.html

BTW: MS Word 2000 exports to HTML in some *pseudo-XML* format as well.
But it doesn't improove ineroperability at all :-((
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)