List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Printing from KWord 1.1 (using KDE 2.2.1)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-10 18:58:10

On Samedi 10 Novembre 2001 00:00, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> You all seem to be suffering from exactly the same problems with KWord printing.
>
> After looking at the information you all provided I can only come to one conclusion
> which is that you all use vector fonts and you all use free fonts. I am afraid
> your problems are based on bad quality fonts.

I can't agree with that. I have had reports showing that the same fonts work
differently under e.g. Mandrake 8.0 and Mandrake 8.1, i.e. KWord works fine
under 8.0 and prints mangled output (with some fonts) on 8.1. The trick is
finding out which component of the system causes this change. The KWord code
is the same (1.1) but Qt is slightly different (2.3 vs 2.3.1 IIRC), the postscript
interpreter is different, X is, Xft/freetype is, the overall config is, and cups is.
One of those things is apparently making a difference, but I don't know which.
As soon as I get the 8.1 CDs I'll try to see if I can reproduce and investigate the
problem, but no promises.

(See the buglist for kword, about 8 bug reports are about this, all with some
info about it).
I don't think the fonts are to blame.

David.