List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Printing from KWord 1.1 (using KDE 2.2.1)
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2001-11-08 2:02:19

Hi Thomas & Eivind:

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 15:42, Thomas Zander wrote:
> You are not the only one, I have seen a number of problems related to these
> fonts, altough you are the only one mentioning RH...

 This pertains to SuSE 7.3 but may also be of use to you. Pertinent info:
  resolution:    78x81 dots per inch
  X version:    xf86-4.1.0
> Could you tell me;
> - which XFree you are using? (the control center has an information section
> where you can find out)
>   Also check if you have in your XF86Config (probably in /etc/X11/) these 2
> lines in the Section "Module"
>     Load        "type1"
>     Load        "freetype"

 These lines are in my XF86Config file:
planck@linux:~> grep type /etc/X11/XF86Config

  Load         "type1"
  Load         "freetype"

> - if you are using anti-aliased fonts. (in control center->look &
> feel->fonts) - how does printing work from a KDE text editor (Kate for
> example) ?  Don't forget to select the Helvetica font from its
> configuration dialog!

 I am not using Anti Aliased fonts.

> If you have the time please try to install the excelent KFontInstaller,
> this will help you install additional fonts and can tell you things like
> the availability of .AFM files and other important stuff...

 I ran Kfontinstaller and it installed quite a few fonts however about half a
dozen *.afm fonts produced errors. After the installation, I loged out and
logged back in. I then tested the following fonts in a Kword document.

FONT SUMMARY:

**Fonts that print correctly:**

Bitstream Charter: fonts are normal in print preview but some lines of
text are missing and embedded png's are not fully rendered. Hard copy
is fine and bold words print correctly.

Courier: print previews correctly and prints correctly. Bold words are
printed correctly.

Luciduxmonolucidux mono: Print previews correctly and prints hard
copies correctly.

Utopia: Some Lines are missing in print preview. hard copy print out is
fine including bold words.

**Fonts that don't print preview correctly but do produce good hard **
**copies with some text features missing.**

Fixed: print previews correctly with the exception that bold words are
not displayed as bold. Also bold words in the Kword document are not
bold, in the hard copy.

Luciduxsanslucidux sans: Print preview has missing lines of text. Bold
words are not displayed as bold in print preview nor are they bold on
the hard copy. Rest of text is fine.

Luciduxseriflucidux serif: Some lines of text missing and bold does not
print in preview or on hard copy. Rest of text is fine.

**Fonts that have unacceptable corruptions:**

Bookman 1: fonts are correctly rendered but again, missing text lines.
On actual print out bolded words are mangled.

Century Schoolbook I: fonts are normal in print preview but lines of
text are missing. Words in bold are mangled or compressed.

Gothic 1: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Helvetica: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucida: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucidabright: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucidatypewriter: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

New century schoolbook: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Nimbus mono l: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Terminal: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

I printed out the text using only the above unacceptable fonts in Kedit and
found that they all printed out in the same font.  For most of them, they
displayed as different fonts in Kedit but the hard copies all had the same
font. To be sure that they were all printing out with the same font, I
superimposed pairs of the hard copies in front of a bright light. They all
matched perfectly.  So the fonts that are corrupt in Kword are ones that
print out as a single font type, say helvetica, in Kedit.

--
							Cheers,

							Jonathan